13037770-1382722944-640x360Graig Meyer is, um, *interesting*.  He’s running for his first full term  (appointed October 2013) as a member of the North Carolina House.  Meyer represents District 50 — which includes parts of Orange and Durham counties.  He served with the Chapel Hill-Carrboro schools as something called ” coordinator for the Blue Ribbon Mentor-Advocate program and director of student equity and volunteer services” prior to joining the House.  Real touchy, feely stuff.  (He and Joe Killian can probably relate.)

According to the linked article above, Meyer apparently struggles with whom he admires morehis dad or Barack Hussein Obama. He’s been a big cheerleader for The Round Rev’s Moral Monday rabble, as evidenced here and here and here and here and here And BOY does this guy wear his love for his home state on his sleeve. Meyer has voted to kill Opportunity scholarships for low-income kids, to save Common Core, and to kill the budget that gave teachers a pay raise.

If that doesn’t beat all, get a load of his weepy self-examination about his Whiteness, White Guilt and,um, ”White Supremacy”:

[…] The truly difficult work is looking deep within myself to recognize
where my own reservoirs of Whiteness reside and what value or burdens
they present to me. Every time I review Peggy McIntosh’s inventory of
White privilege I learn something more about myself, and-through
attentiveness to my own experience-I think I could add a few more
forms of racial privilege to her list. Frequently, I find myself
examining my blind spots when a colleague of color expresses very
different feelings about some experience we shared. This is fairly
painless when it simply requires hearing about how they read between
the lines of a presentation or caught a racist remark that sailed over
my head. When the dissonance in our experience was in some way the
result of my Whiteness, it’s a little more painful but also more
revealing.
My White guilt tends to creep up most when I’m forced to reflect on
the power I wield. For instance, I will spend weeks mentally reviewing
an incident when one of my staff members bears the brunt of my
ignorance or proclivity for dominance. I want them to trust me, I want
them to like me, and I anger myself when I learn that I may have done
something that makes it more difficult for them to do either.
Perhaps even more important to our work are times when my power allows
me to make decisions that negatively impact students of color.
Although I often try to seek counsel of colleagues of color, it is
inevitable that times arise where it’s only after the fact that one of
them points out some flaw in my reasoning. The flaws are often the
result of my ingrained Whiteness and my own blindness to its perpetual
presence.
I suppose it’s cliché to say that the work is never done or that none
of us ever fully “get it.” But I can’t help feeling a strong desire to
master this work, to learn all there is to know, and to do enough to
become the “good White guy.”Ultimately, it’s probably the deepest
vestige of my own White supremacy that feeds this need to know it all,
to be right, and to be in charge. Paradoxically, the deeper I delve
into this process, the more I feel called to lead other colleagues
through the journey. My own capacity for leadership perpetuates the
Whiteness within me, beckoning a return trip to look in the mirror.
Perhaps I can’t fully suppress all the Whiteness within me, and maybe
that’s for the better. The process is the task, the journey has no
end, and I will always be White. (personal communication. March 2005)
*Source: Pages 240-241 Book: Courageous conversations about race: a
field guide for achieving equity in schools. Author: Singleton, Glenn
E. Published: Thousand Oaks, Calif.: Corwin Press, c2006.*

25 comments for “#NCGA: JUST when you thought Chapel Hill couldn’t get any kookier along comes => THIS GUY.

1. Charles
    September 16, 2014 at 7:43 pm

If he had to grow up working on a farm he wouldn’t have this problem, this mental illness he must be suffering from. On the farm there are only workers, no white or black, just sweat.

• Evelyn Poole-Kober
      September 17, 2014 at 12:30 am

Agree with Charles. I grew up on a farm, getting up at 4:30 am to do chores at the dairy barn, climbing up the solos to throw down silage, feeding the baby calves, before going to school and driving a school bus for extra money. Came home from school and did the same chores before playing basketball, softball, and other school activities. In the summer time, rode the combine to harvest grain, drove the tractor in harvesting silage and baling straw/hay. The results, hard as rock muscles, knowing exactly who I was/am, with no sign of mental disease of White Supremacy. Craig Meyer wouldn’t haven’t have that problem if he had worked on our farm with my dad, whom I admired more than any man I have ever known.

• Myron Smith
      September 18, 2014 at 2:11 am

Charles I agree. I worked and lived in the Commercial Fishing Village Down East of Beaufort. Blacks and whites worked together on the Trawlers. They both worked at the Fish Houses of Seafood Dealers packing culling fish, heading shrimp, cleaning fish and freezing fish, heading shrimp. As teenagers we all worked together to move seafood on trucks and ship out. The blacks that worked were treated the same as whites. They were paid the same. All worked together long hours to make money. I enjoyed hearing the Blacks chant and sing. Some became lifelong friends of my parents and me. Whenever better job opening occurred my father would call and Recommend Blacks and whites for the Job they applied for.

2. Alan Bulluck
    September 17, 2014 at 12:20 am

College of Wooster AND University of Chicago?? LOL…man, he’s led a tough life. I’m sure the mean streets of those tough “urban” campuses have battle-hardened him for the streets of arguably one of the most affluent House districts’ in the entire state. Graig just gets it (Not really.).

3. Tim
    September 17, 2014 at 12:36 am

He’ll fit right in with all the other inmates in the NC Democrat Party mental asylum.

4. Frances
    September 17, 2014 at 1:35 am

He’s been drinking too much Socialist Koolaid. He needs to get a life. The idea of white privelege is a made up lie by the socialist of this country to keep all citizens as economic slaves.

5. Carl Mischka
    September 17, 2014 at 1:44 am

Don’t respond often but question whether this guy is even human. Perhaps we already have been invaded by aliens?

6. JBP
    September 17, 2014 at 1:35 pm

Craig is actually a very smart guy and he has done amazing work for the youth of the state. The Blue Ribbon Mentor program has made a huge difference in hundreds (or many more) of people’s lives. He is practical, approachable, (already said he was smart) and a very hard worker.

• Kathy
      September 18, 2014 at 3:34 pm

“Smart” comes in different forms. Our government has been saturated with business smarts, academic smarts, and political smarts. What we need more of is common sense smarts. Mr. Meyer says, “The flaws [in my reasoning] are often the result of my ingrained Whiteness and my own blindness to its perpetual presence.” Excuse me, but the only way for anyone to get away from the perpetual presence of their race is to have pigmentation treatments, and that is only superficial. If Meyer had any common sense he would recognize that everyone’s perspective–including blacks–is skewed by their personal bias. The solution to societal problems is not self-condemnation, but rather mutual respect. Truly educated people know that we all descend from the same familial roots: Noah’s family. (Our racial differences have evolved.) The Reverend Martin Luther King understood that skin color ought to be a non-issue. The Reverend’s teachings also revealed a Biblical Truth: We can only love others if we have a healthy love for ourselves. Mr. Meyer seems so insecure about the way God made him, that he has no business making critical decisions that affect the rest of us; and, neither do other racially insecure government representatives.

• JBP
        September 18, 2014 at 3:59 pm

I don’t see anything in his text above that would indicate that Mr. Meyer denies that everyone has their own perspective or that anyone will have personal bias. I see his text acknowledging his own background and bias and how that interacts with other’s perspective. Rather refreshing for someone seeking a leadership position.

• Enlightened
          September 29, 2014 at 6:17 pm

Nonsense. He’s batshyt crazy. And you’ve got issues too. You should have those looked at.

7. Jack Bailey
    September 17, 2014 at 4:01 pm

It is amazing to me how some educated people are as dumb as a box of rocks. He can’t identify who he is, and is bothered by being born white? That is a mental illness. He is worth nothing to society and sure isn’t smart enough to do anything but waste time as a legislator. He should go hide for being so dumb. I agree with the comments from the farm guys, except to say this guy should have been a pioneer who would have been so busy picking arrows out of his behind, he wouldn’t have time to wonder about his “whiteness.”

• Chris Weaver
      September 19, 2014 at 11:18 am

HAR!

8. Raphael
    September 17, 2014 at 5:49 pm

This is one way out dude, a real space case. He fits Margaret Thatcher’s term ”loony left” perfectly. I think he would be far happier if he was serving in Robert Mugabe’s party faction in the Zimbabwean parliament. Or perhaps in North Korea’s supreme soviet.

9. Chris Weaver
    September 17, 2014 at 6:10 pm

Sorry this guy is a nut. Given his own formula for time in anguish for a decision….1:14 two years in the legislature will result in 28 years of mental health recovery the taxpayer will be on the hook for.
    What I want to know…is what prominent members of Orange and Durham Counties are supporting him?
    They need to come forward and state their position on White guilt.
    Earl McKee and Ms Price are the only commissioners of Orange in D5, they both need to explain to the public their positions on White Guilt and if they are secure in Meyers representation of the people of his (and their) district based upon his loathing and assumed projection to the constituents…of his and their skin color.

10. Atnor
    September 17, 2014 at 7:26 pm

He’ll never overcome this kind of foolishness, because he’s already decided that his skin color (and the skin color of others) is of a “value”, as he says. He fails to see the principle – that the opposite of racism is indifference – colorblindness – not reverse racism. No matter how positive you make it, his racism is still racism.

And this guy has some absurd ninja-level reverse racism all up in his brain. 🙂

A person can recognize that other people attach value to race without having to participate in the practice themselves.

It’s really sad that people walk around thinking this baloney.

• WheelerB
      September 18, 2014 at 4:17 pm

“No matter how positive you make it, his racism is still racism.”

^^^nailed it.

11. Mac
    September 17, 2014 at 8:34 pm

Somehow, I just don’t think this is what Dr. Martin Luther King had in mind…when he said:
    “judged not by the COLOR of their skin, but the content of their character.”

12. Chris Weaver
    September 20, 2014 at 2:17 pm

Wow some the names on this list…I wonder how many share the same feelings…

• jo
      September 20, 2014 at 5:54 pm

Your point? Whose list is this and why are you posting it here?

• Chris Weaver
        September 20, 2014 at 9:21 pm

….?
        Jo can you not read?

“I wonder how many share the same feelings…”
        …seems pretty clear…
        the list …is public information… is your name on it?

The people on this list should be made aware if if they are (cough) unintentionally” supporting a Nationally recognized authority on “equality in Schools’ who harbors such racist feelings….

13. Roman
    September 29, 2014 at 9:26 pm

For the first time in my life, I’m ashamed to be a UNC Graduate.

14. CKAinRedStateUSA
    September 30, 2014 at 4:44 am

After reading this, I felt as if I had read either the script of a Twilight Zone program, or a Hamlet-like “To be or not to be…” monologue.

15. Jason Prather
    September 30, 2014 at 12:10 pm

perhaps there IS a new trend out there, along the lines of a man born in a woman’s body and vice versa, a white man born in a black mans body! Perhaps there is a surgery that will turn a white man black or whatever RACE he wants to be!

16. jweaks
    October 29, 2014 at 1:48 am

LadyLiberty just blew him up: wp.me/p14vwx-36F

And his opponent tells all: TheTruthAboutGraigMeyer.com

Comments are closed.