I for one am not comforted by guys and gals, charged with making important dollars-and-cents decisions for our state, struggling with properly filling out their campaign finance reports. (Looking at YOU, Mr. Saine.)
For Speaker Moore’s carpool buddy Kelly Hastings, it took THREE ATTEMPTS (and two years) to get his 2015 campaign finance reports filed properly with the state board of elections.
The “trouble” appeared to center around payments from the campaign fund to Hastings, his wife, other members of the Hastings family, and — apparently — his in-laws.
Version One of his 2015 report was a mid-year filing that occurred on August 4, 2015. Some,um, *highlights*:
A total of 33 expenditures listed
On 1/5/15, Norris Hastings of Cherryville was paid $499.40 for “expenses related to holding public office.”
- Dorothy Howell of Cherryville was paid $177.27 on 1/5/15 for “expenses related to holding public office and campaign interior design office.” She was also paid $130.00 on 1/25/15 for the same reason.
- Between 1/16/15 and 2/18/15, Annika Howell Hastings, a Shelby dentist, was paid a total of $1,947.68 for “expenses related to holding public office & campaign Raleigh trip (HOTEL MILEAGE FOOD).”
- ON 4/2/15, the campaign paid Hastings himself $2,149.68 for “expenses related to holding public office & campaign.”
FYI — we’ve come to learn that “office” is quite often a code for “Raleigh apartment” when filling out campaign finance reports. Apparently, spending campaign money on personal furnishings and luxuries is frowned upon.
Version Two of his 2015 report was an “amended” mid-year filing that occurred on 6/9/17. Some, um, *highlights*:
- A total of 48 listed expenditures
- A total of $12,458.94 paid to Hastings and various family members
- A 2/17/15 indicated a payment of $892.20 by Hastings himself to the campaign fund with the following explanation:”TRANSACTION CORRECTION DEPOSITED BACK INTO ACCOUNT 09/14/2016 OFFICE CHAIR FOR INTERN. OFFICE SUPPLIES AND OTHER ITEMS FOR RALEIGH APARTMENT”
- A 1/30/15 payment by Hastings himself of $303.38 with the following explanation: “TRANSACTION CORRECTION DEPOSITED BACK INTO ACCOUNT 02/20/2017CELL PHONE UPGRADE TO READ FILED BILLS. SUPPLIES FOR RALEIGH OFFICE.”
- A 2/18/15 line item showing a $1,100 payment by Annika Howell Hastings to the campaign with the following explanation: “TRANSACTION CORRECTION DEPOSITED BACK INTO CAMPAIGN ACCOUNT 02/24/2017 TV, SEALY MATTRESS, AND RECLINER FOR RALEIGH APARTMENT”
- A 2/17/15 line item showing a $450 payment by Annika Howell Hastings to the campaign with the following explanation: TRANSACTION “CORRECTION DEPOSITED BACK INTO ACCOUNT 10/10/2016 TO PAY FOR REPLACEMENT DENTIST WHILE ANKIA HASTINGS TOOK DAUGHTER TO SWEARING IN CEREMONY.”
- A 1/4/15 payment of $205.45 to Annika Howell Hastings for “Raleigh office furniture.”
- Two 1/4/15 line items: a $10 payment to Hastings for “food while shopping for furniture for Raleigh office” and $37.38 to Hastings for: “MILEAGE REIMBURSEMENT SHOPPING FOR FURNITURE FOR RALEIGH OFFICE 65 MILES @ .575.”
Version Three of his 2015 mid-year report got filed on 9/27/17. It was merely an image of the forms. No monetary figures are included. It’s all zeroes. (I guess he, or his treasurer, surrendered.)
Now, let’s move to the Year-End report for 2015. Version One got filed on 2/1/2016. Some highlights:
- A total of 29 expenditures
- A total of $13,244.18 paid out to Hastings or members of his family
- A 10/26/15 payment of $230.58 to Norris Hastings for “MILEAGE TOOK ITEMS TO RALEIGH FOR KELLY HASTINGS.”
- A 10/26/15 payment of $124.20 to Norris Hastings for “MILEAGE TO PRESNELL EVENT IN MAGGIE VALLEY.”
Version Two of the Year-End report got filed 8/24/17. Some highlights:
- A total of 35 expenditures
- A total of $13,037.17 paid out to Hastings or members of his family
Version Three of the Year-End report got filed 9/27/17. Like Version Three of the mid-year report, it too was an image of the forms and contained all zeroes. A likely surrender, as well.
As we recounted in a prior story, legislators are paid $104 per day, plus $559 per month, plus their $13,951 salary to cover the expenses of traveling to and staying in Raleigh.